Sarah S.
West House
Animal Cruelty
EQ: What is the most effective way to take a stand against animal cruelty?

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Service Learning 10 Hour Project Check

  1.  I have provided quality care for shelter cats and dogs as well as assisting the kennel staff and fellow co-workers with basic cage/kennel cleaning, care and socialization, feeding, and exercise. I also help the general public, who are interested in adoption, find their ideal future pet companions. For example this Tuesday I helped a man find a small puppy for his 3 year old son. I have been involved in nearly 20 or so adoptions so far. This week I also saved and rushed a Siberian Husky, who licked open his wounds, to the veterinarian before his intestines and guts totally spilled out (heard this has happened before).
  2.  I try to go every week for 4-8 hours. I have already completed over 30 hours.
  3. The most significant thing I have learned through this experience is the shelters desperate need of the public's help. Hundreds of animals go through the Baldwin Park shelter every week alone and in order for all of these animals to survive and be adopted we need people to become better informed so that they can help with donations, adopt, and refer others. We need blankets, towels, toys, food, and more volunteers! I am there every week and its a great feeling when you help a poor helpless dog thats been locked up in a kennel get adopted and find a home and I just wish every animal in there can be but it doesn't always happen that way. So that is why we need huge support from the public.

No comments:

Post a Comment