Sarah S.
West House
Animal Cruelty
EQ: What is the most effective way to take a stand against animal cruelty?

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Independent Study 1

1. Log
     Between January 14th and January 28th. Went to each sophomore and junior class more than twice a week to make announcements and updates, pass out flyers, and collect the donations.

2.









 3a.) I, Sarah Sartori, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.

3b.) Throughout 2 weeks I worked with the junior and sophomore classes in an animal shelter drive. The students had a variety of items to choose from to help out hundreds of animals. Here are the results in total (including myself and family):
  • 17 blue medical clothes
  • 20 small towels
  • 4 large towels
  • 59 grocery bags
  • 3 hand sanitizers
  • 25 lidocaine injections
  • 17 povidone-iodine solutions
  • 21 cans of dog food
  • 28 dog bones
  • 4 bags/boxes of dog food
  • 19 bags/boxes of dog treats
  • 5 large bowls
  • 4 small bowls
  • 3 rolls of trash bags
  • 8 bags of cat treats
  • 4 bags/boxes of cat food
  • 5 gallon all-purpose bucket
  • pooper scooper
  • 2 pack oral hygiene kit
  • pack of ear cleaning wipes
  • dog shampoo
  • 5 pens
  • 10 pencils
  • tie out stake
  • 139 cans of cat food
  • roll of doggy clean-up bags
  • 4 leashes
  • bag of rabbit food
  • bag of aspen bedding
  • bandana
  • 2 cat toys
  • 16 tennis balls
  • 16 dog toys
  • small blanket
3c.) During both weeks I made plenty of flyers about the animal shelter drive, went to all of the classes to persuade people to stop by the shelter and adopt or volunteer and donate something since the shelter I volunteer at is the largest in L.A. county. I had more trouble trying to count and put everything together than anything else. I set my goal of having to take at least a truck load in, meaning I didn't want to be given enough to fit into a small car, and luckily my goal was met and I filled up the back of my truck and took it all in.

3d.) This component helped me with my EQ because it showed a great example of what people can do to help animals. One of my answers to my EQ is "volunteer at a rescue or shelter in order to help educate  people and care for animals." Not only was I able to help and make a difference, but I was able to get a group of students to help donate and many were interested in becoming a volunteer like me.



No comments:

Post a Comment